Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Unique House Of The Week

I've always loved unique, unusual homes, odd shaped rooms, attics converted to lofts, wharehouse living. I love barns converted to living spaces, especially the hay loft, is this wrong? So when I found this space, at the TOP of a Seattle skyscraper, I was in love. Notice both the BIG open feel, and the small cozy areas like the bedroom. Or the rafters, beautiful. (After enjoying this article, please take the poll to your right.)
When we purchased a home in Sugarhouse this June, one of the big sellers for me was a 300 sq/ft loft, where I now office and am writing this article. It reminds me of my grandmothers farm house, it has that wonderful smell common in older homes everywhere. I get about half way up the stairs and it hits me, my brain is flooded with thousands of wonderful memories of childhood. We'd explore the closets which traveled into the houses eaves, filled with old treasures, and contemplate things we were not allowed to do. The owner of this space holds a 40 year lease, and hired Castanes Architects to help her design it for her needs. It was once the caretakers living area, after it housed a water tank! Castanes Architects assisted her in deciding how to live in the space and where to site the basic necessities, and she took it from there. She shares the space with a huge Dale Chihuly sculpture, a gift from the artist, which fills a good portion of the large pyramidal volume that is now the living, dining, and kitchen area of this most unique home. A large and growing collection of artwork and collectibles makes this home a personable definition of its sociable and on-the-go inhabitant. And yes, she rode out the February 2001 earthquake in the space with virtually no damage!


When I tour homes for and with clients, it's often the smells which hit me first. The smell of an old home, a garage, a utility shed, all come with powerful reminders from childhood. I'm curious about your house memories, what sets you off, what reminds you of good times as a child?

No comments:

Loan Calculator