Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Doing Business With Family?


How do you feel about doing business with family?.

When I was a youngster my electrician father frequently brought me along to various job sites. I remember walking through the Kraft plant in my Midwestern hometown in awe of the huge milk tanks, tubes and machines of all kinds. My favorite was the blue cheese machine. I loved watching workers place blocks of cheese between the long opposing metal spears (they looked a lot like knitting needles) that would make holes in the cheesse which, over the aging process, grew mold making the "blue" in blue cheese! To my fathers frustration, my daydreaming often distracted me from my assigned task as wire puller and gopher.

Which brings me to my point, would you hire your relative to be your mechanic, realtor or lawyer? Obvious plusses are you know your relatives, you may have even grown up with many of them and can attest to their character. Alternatively, what happens when your cousin dissapoints and you'll be seeing each other over Thanksgiving?

I'm curious, how do you select your service people, doctors, lawyers etc? Is it family all the way or "just on holidays?"

No comments:

Loan Calculator